Acupuncture and Traditional Chinese Medicine
Acupuncture and Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) is a comprehensive service brought to the Willunga Veterinary Clinic by the knowledge and expertise of Dr Clare Ellis.
Clare has a certificate in Veterinary Acupuncture (CVA) and is a member of the International Veterinary Acupuncture Society (IVAS) and the Australian Veterinary Acupuncture Group.
Acupuncture and Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) is a complete system of medicine that uses acupuncture, Chinese herbal medications, diet and lifestyle change to treat disease.
This system uses the body’s own innate ability to heal itself, and depends on the principle that the body always tries to balance and regulate itself. Acupuncture stimulates energy and blood flow through the body and can aid in the reduction of pain and inflammation.
Chinese Medicine can be used by itself or in combination with Western medicine for an integrated approach to treatment. It may be used to treat the following conditions:
- Intervertebral disc disease
- Back and neck pain
- Management of hip dysplasia
- Muscle and ligament injuries
- Geriatric condition
- Management of liver & kidney disease
- Neurological disorders
- Endocrine disorders
- Urinary tract problems (incontinence, cystitis)
- Chronic respiratory conditions
- Digestive problems
- Some skin disorders
- Behavioural problems
- Management of some cancers and chemotherapy related side effects.
Acupuncture and trigger point therapy can also be used in rehabilitation programs to improve recovery from cruciate ligament repair and other orthopaedic surgeries.
The initial consultation takes 1 hour and repeat consultations last 30 minutes. The consultations include:
– A complete Clinical Examination
– A traditional Chinese Medical examination
– Diagnostic tests where required
– An integrated treatment approach – with Acupuncture & Chinese Herbal formulas that are appropriate to your pet’s condition supplementing Western medication if indicated
– Information regarding expected outcome and home treatment, which may include dietary change, Chinese herbal medications, supplements, acupressure and massage.
Acute conditions may need only 2-3 treatments over 1-2 weeks
Chronic conditions usually require 4-10 treatments over a period of several weeks followed by regular ‘top ups’ as needed.
To make an appointment click here or phone us on 08 8556 2075.
Willunga Vet Services
Aldinga Vet Services
Mt Compass Vet Services
Mon - Fri: 8am to 5:30pm
Sat & Sun: Closed
On Call 24 Hours
Get in Touch